Powered By Blogger

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Kansas at the Stiefel Theater 5-10-2012

Even though it has only been about 37 years since I've seen this band, when a pair of tickets near the stage were offered, I couldn't pass it up. Kansas has been one of my favorite bands since their early days and I think Kerry Livgren's songs are some of the most amazing music written in the last century, modern day equivalents of the works of any of the classical composers in their grandeur and beauty.
There were two acts that opened for Kansas. The first, known as That 1 Guy (Mike Silverman) was actually very entertaining and extremely entertaining. He manages to make some pipes, a bit of string, a few pickups, a bow , and a drumstick sound like a small combo. He played three songs and was well received. To see his "instrument" check out this video of him in Vancouver..
That 1 Guy 
The next act was a three man power/prog metal band called King's X made up of bassist/front man Doug Pinnick, guitarist Ty Tabor, and drummer Jerry Gaskill. I have to admit I didn't enjoy their show very well, but that was largely due to the way the sound was mixed. The bass was SO dominant that about all I heard where I was setting was a constant thud of the bass line that almost drowned out the guitar and vocals. Call me old school, but I want to hear the guitar player more than the bassist. Mixed correctly, I like much of what I have heard of them, but that wasn't what I heard last night.
King's X Goldilox
Then Kansas came on. I had tried a few times to get shooting privileges at the Stiefel, but I never even got the courtesy of a response from them. So, I took my Nikon knowing that at some point I would be told I couldn't use it. (That's why I have no shots of the opening acts!) I fully understand why bands don't want people making money from their images.
That is why these pics are only for fans of the band to enjoy and meant to pay tribute to the guys who've brought so much enjoyment to so many for so long. I DO NOT sell any photos any more and have never sold concert photos of any acts and never will. 
Seeing Kansas perform again after so many years was like stepping back in time. I was instantly mesmerized by their music, just as I had been when I first heard these songs. They played all their better known songs (Carry On, Dust in the Wind, etc) plus greats like Miracles out of Nowhere , Portrait (He Knew) a song about Albert Einstein, and Hold On. The highlight of the show for me, however, was Song for America, a song whose beauty and message have been special to me since I first heard it.
The only "complaint" I had was that they didn't play Incomudro Hymn for the Atman, an epic opus that features an incredible solo by my favorite drummer, the amazing Phil Ehart.
It was kind of sad to see them without Kerry Livgren who I consider to be a giant in music, but it was still a great show. Thanks guys.
Rich Williams



Steve Walsh

David Ragsdale


Billy Greer













Phil Ehart





I suppose you all know what song this was, Dust in the Wind!


At this point, I was told I could not use my Nikon. Phones and P&S cameras seem to be OK, but I didn't argue and didn't take another shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment