Powered By Blogger

Thursday, July 21, 2011

2011 Sioux Falls Jazzfest, Anders Osborne Friday 7-15

I'd heard a few Anders Osborne songs and had him pegged as a laid back tunesmith with a lot of meaningful lyrics and harmonious (if slower tempo) music, but when two people mentioned Joe Bonamassa as a comparison to describe his show, I knew it was something I wanted HAD to hang around and see. The fact that he was on right before Little Feat didn't hurt either.
So, my plans to head south Friday got scrapped and I was back at Jazzfest hearing more stories of Anders Osborne's guitar prowess. I have to admit, I went into this show with really high expectations .............Anders blew them away!!!!
From the first note, it was obvious this wasn't going to be an evening of ballads; this guy WAILS!! and looks like he's enjoying every second of it. Just a trio, these guys can hold their own with about any power trio I've ever seen or heard. They are a very tight band that has a great chemistry. If you haven't seen them, make it a point.
He had a very pleasant surprise up his sleeve this night and it sounds like it'll be happening again before long.

Anders Osborne is a transplanted Swede who now lives in New Orleans. Talk about a change!
Bassist Carl Dufrene meshed well with Osborne.

Just one of the "rock faces" I caught.



Eric Bolivar kinda goes unnoticed, but is an integral part of the act.






This........


.....and this are two more great faces!



Ya think this guy likes performing?




After the first 45 minutes or so playing in 90+ degree heat and about 250% humidity, Anders had to towel off and change shirts

Every pic I've seen of Carl shows him with a beard that matches the hair. He had just shaved it off.



You can see part of the big screen here; it's huge.

At one point, Anders said he had a couple of friends who wanted to sit in.
Fred Tackett......

..........and Paul Barrere of Little Feat came on and what had been a great show went through the roof.





He seemed to be on cloud nine when those guys joined in :)








This was one of the best concert moments I've ever experienced, and I've seen a few.

Almost like he's saying "Well, whadya think?"




Crash told me later that Little Feat had made a special point of showing up early, just for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment