Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

2011 Sioux Falls Jazzfest, Indigenous Thursday 7-14


OK, so this one isn't exactly a racing blog, but there WAS lots of action, and the pics were too good NOT to post here!!!
I had wanted to see the band Indigenous for a long time, but things always came up. So, when I saw they were going to be at something called the Sioux Falls Jazzfest AND that they were opening for the Fabulous Thunderbirds, I knew I was going. I contacted the Executive Director, Robert Joyce, about shooting the show and he was gracious enough to grant me shooting privileges.
When I got there, he and virtually everyone else I met were great...very friendly. As I was hanging around like a bum, waiting for the show to start, I was by the remote booth of the radio station covering the show, B102.7 Classic Rock. I struck up a conversation with the DJ working called Crash and his lovely wife and got to listen to him interview Kim Wilson of the Fabulous Thunderbirds. 
By the time Indigenous came on, what had been an almost empty park was starting to fill quickly and the crowd was (almost) as eager as I was to hear Mato play.
A quick intro for those who don't know of him & his band yet. They are members of the Nakota Nation from the Yankton Reservation. No small time "novelty" act, these guys are GOOD....B.B. King is a fan. Their first album Things We Do came out in 1998 and won several awards and gained them many fans.
You can visit their site and sample their music, but I warn you; it is very addictive. http://www.indigenousrocks.com/

Backstage



Out front



As you can see from these first two pics, it was very overcast right up to showtime, but pretty warm, upper 80s or so.

Mato warming up.
 Just as they came on, the sun came out, and peeked in & out of the clouds the rest of the evening.

Mato's brother Horse. Before they went on, he said he was a little nervous since he hadn't played in several years. H e did a great job.

Charles Sanders



Well known local guitarist Derek Post played rhythm and sang backing vocals.







Just one of several good action shots from the show.




This is Mato's signature look when he's really wailin'

Another great solo.



I was told the bassist's name was Scott, but no one I spoke to knew his last name.





This is one of my favorite shots of this show.

I think Charles was having fun.








There's that look again :).










The grand finale at show's end.
And this was just the opening act....of a three day show!! I was originally only going to stay for Thursday, Indigenous & the T-Birds, but Rob Joyce convinced me I needed to stay around to see Friday's acts. I did and was VERY glad I did, but I'll get to that later.

I want to say a huge thanks to Robert Joyce, John, Crash & his wife, Mat d, and each & every person who made the Jazzfest such an incredible time for me & all the people who came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment