Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

US36 Raceway POWRi Show 7-31-2011

I'd never been to US36, but had been told by a (somewhat) reliable source that it was a very fast, high banked, little joint. I guess in this case he wasn't pulling my leg; reminded me a little of the track in Concordia, Kansas where the mini-sprints fly (hint, hint guys) The banks are higher at US36, but the banking is similar.
The only downside was the Colorado gang had headed home. This was, after all, about 400 miles out of their way and on a Sunday night. We did get two new cars, JD Black and Will Pierce. Droud was also back after running a sprint Saturday night. There was also some guy named Coons driving Kenny Brown's car....more about that later. Still, we had 22 cars, enough for another good show.
I was hoping Jon Backlund might come up, and sure enough, there he was. Talking too, if you can believe it!
In the feature, Kyle Larson was dominant from the beginning. Jerry Coons Jr was able to get up and run with him (not bad having just jumped in the car), but Larson was clearly the fastest car tonight. A few yellows kept the field pretty bunched up and the racing was tight all around the track. Nick Knepper flipped right where I'd been for the B and heats, but I'd moved to turn 2 because there were 4 of us right in one small spot. 
I just included a couple of hot lap solos I liked because I've put up a bunch lately. The rest are action shots from heats, B, & main............


Kyle Larson was really fast tonight.

Tyler Thomas bouncing off the inside berm.

Clauson running on three wheels.

Brad Kuhn was looking to go 3 for 3 tonight.

Three wide with room for a couple more.

Andrew Felker had problems in hot laps, but was ready for his heat.



Nope, that's not Kenny in that car, it's Jerry Coons Jr.




These guys had a good battle most of the race.


Still at it.



Brad tried a slide job on Zach and JUST pulled it off.


Just before Nick flipped.

I missed Nick's flip, still don't know who he made contact with.




Another close call for Kuhn as Terry spun in front of him.



US36 feature winner Kyle Larson
 
 After the race, I was having breakfast at Denny's in St Joe when I heard a busboy tell another guy, "Check out this ca,r it's got roll bars in it." From the description, I knew whose it was & told the manager the names of the couple. I had to hide my face, but I listened as he greeted them by name, "Hello Wayne. Hi Jan" I looked up and they were both standing there stunned. The ONLY time I've ever seen Wayne at a loss for words!!


Some of you saw the poster I was getting autographed for the Belleville High Banks Hall of Fame. So many drivers and crew wanted one that I made a similar one...the one for the museum is unique (except one for my own wall). 
This new one is about the same except I took a little more time and didn't leave Dave & Keith off this time.



If you'd like one, catch me at Belleville, I don't have many of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment